William D. Ashwell is founding attorney at the law firm of Ashwell & Ashwell, PLLC in Warrenton, Virginia.
Practicing throughout Northern Virginia and the Piedmont region, Mr. Ashwell focuses primarily in civil and criminal litigation, domestic relations, land use and zoning, wills and trusts and appellate advocacy.
“I see my purpose as being the bridge between the court system and my clients, using my knowledge of that system to help them achieve their goals.” — Will Ashwell
A Fauquier County native, Mr. Ashwell represents clients in Virginia courts from Alexandria to Richmond, and in federal courts as well.
Winning precedent-setting cases before the Virginia Supreme and federal appeals court has earned Mr. Ashwell recognition among Virginia Top Lawyers and as a Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star. He is actively engaged with the community as a board member of the Fauquier SPCA and Experience Old Town Warrenton, and is a member of the Fauquier Chamber of Commerce.
- University of Dayton School of Law
- Hampden-Sydney College
- Fauquier SPCA, Board Member
- Partnership for Warrenton, Past Board Member
- Fauquier Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
- Experience Old Town Warrenton, Chairman
- US District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- US District Court Western District of Virginia
- US Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- US Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- US Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
Selected to Rising Stars by Super Lawyers: 2017 – 2021
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Law and DUI
- Family Law
- Traffic Violations
- Business & Commercial Law
- Land Use & Zoning
- Real Estate Disputes
- Wills and Trusts
- Personal Injury
- United States v. Bosyk, 933 F3d 319 (4th Cir. 2019) cert denied, 140 S. Ct. 1124 (U.S. Feb. 24, 2020)(No. 19-860), 2019
- Shepherd v. Conde, 797 S.E.2d 750 (Va. 2017)
- Chacey v. Garvey, 781 S.E.2d 357, (Va. 2015)
- Weatherholt v. Commonwealth, 839 S.E.2d 492 (Va. 2020)
- Spell v. Commonwealth, 851 S.E.2d 83 (2020)
- St. John v. Thompson, 854 S.E.2d 648 (2021)
- Land Use and Zoning: Navigate Land Use/Zoning Regulations, Permitting Issues, Disputes and More; National Business Institute, July 20, 2017
- How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out), National Business Institute, October 31, 2017 – Present
- Protecting Your Business, Family and Future, Greater Piedmont REALTORS, February 21, 2018
- Local Government Law – Start to Finish; Government Attorney Ethics – Protect Your Client and Yourself, National Business Institute, February 23, 2018
- Road and Easement Law A to Z: Establishing Easements; National Business Institute, April 9, 2018
- Take a Comprehensive Look at Land Use Law; National Business Institute, July 10, 2018
- Ethics in Land Use Law; National Business Institute, July 10, 2018
- How to Lay a Foundation to Get Your Evidence Introduced; Applying Ethics Rules to Evidence; National Business Institute, October 30, 2018
- Defining Easements and Ethics in Boundary Law; National Business Institute, April 15, 2019
- Real Estate Boot Camp and Ethics, National Business Institute, April 19, 2019 – Present
- Land Use and Zoning from Start to Finish: Ethics in Land Use and Zoning Law, National Business Institute, September 10, 2019
- Handling Email, Social Media and Other ESI; The Rules of Evidence: A Practical Toolkit, National Business Institute, October 31, 2019.
- Annual Probate and Estate Administration Conference in Virginia, National Business Institute, September 23, 2020.
- Legal Descriptions, Title Insurance & Surveys in Real Estate Transactions, National Business Institute, December 17, 2020.
What’s the likely outcome of your case?